14 August 2017

Crock-Pot Sunday | Turkey Enchilada Quinoa



"So, are you like a food blogger now?"
No. God, no.

But seriously, I'm not. I don't have my own recipes and I'm not a "foodie" by any means. I am just using my blog to share good recipes that I find and also to motivate me to cook at home. I am making an effort to eat at home more, not only to save money, but also to be relatively healthier.

Speaking of healthy, this past weekend, I made the healthy version of one of our favorite dishes to make at home. My boyfriend makes a really good enchilada casserole, which is basically an enchilada "lasagna," but it's very fatty and unhealthy (but ohhh so delicious).

He sent a link to me the other day of 30 healthy slow cooker recipes and one stood out to me as I knew it was something that he would really like. I followed the link for the "Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa" and it took me to Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen!

Let me tell you, this recipe is packed with flavor. I had to tweak it a little and it actually ended up being "Turkey Enchilada Quinoa." Here are the substitutions I made:

  • I used the Jennie-O Taco Seasoned Ground Turkey instead of ground chicken because the turkey was on sale. 
  • I didn't use any jalapenos because I used spiced beans. This was simply because I didn't want to buy just ONE jalapeno. We are not big jalapeno users at home.
  • We didn't have cumin so I used curry powder instead, which is a good substitute. I also used 1/2 tbsp instead of the suggested 1 tbsp because I wasn't sure how the curry powder would alter the intended flavor.
  • I added about 1 tsp. of chipotle powder.

Trying new recipes is always a scary thing for me since I'm not an experienced cook, but I'm actually very proud of how this turned out. I'm that much more excited now for the next recipe that I'm going to attempt!

Until the next dish...*


*I really shouldn't sign off with this because then it makes it seem like I'm a food blogger, because I'm really not.

Omg why do I care so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment