02 August 2017

Satisfying My Cravings

 

I am almost 31 years old and I couldn't cook my way out of a paper bag if my life depended on it.

Okay that's a bit of an over exaggeration, but when I was younger, I thought by now I wouldn't have to look up recipes for my favorite dishes, including Filipino ones. I thought I'd be just like my mum, who could whip up anything with whatever was in the pantry or fridge. I bought Chrissy Teigen's cookbook in particular because well, I just wanted to buy into the hype. Plus, anything with a celebrity's face on it is supposed to be good right?

I bought the cookbook because I just wanted to be a better adult and I wanted to have an understanding of the science of cooking (omg science, seriously I need to learn the science of food!) through actual cooking. Her recipes seemed easy enough, and that's why I thought I'd start here. I'm excited to dive into it and find my inner chef.



For my first attempt, I thought I'd start with breakfast because why not? First recipe, first meal of the day. I bought all my ingredients the day before and was so excited that I woke up much earlier than normal the next morning. I had to find a dish that both my boyfriend and I would enjoy. He's not big on vegetables or anything too elaborate so the breakfast sandwich was a happy medium.



These sandwiches are relatively easy to make, though probably not as convenient as buying pre-made patties or going to McDonald's for an Egg McMuffin. But to be honest, I think these are much better! They're the perfect combination of savory, sweet (yes sweet!) and spicy. However, I must point out that the recipe calls for a ridiculous amount of red pepper flakes for half a pound of ground pork. If you're not into spicy foods, I'd say add to taste instead of following the recipe.

Not pictured are the hash browns that I made to accompany the sandwich. They turned out just fine, but weren't pretty enough for the photos. My boyfriend decided to add them into his sandwich (pictured above) that's why I chose to post his sandwich instead of mine because it looks much more scrumptious.

Overall, I'm so happy with how the sandwiches turned out. It's boosted my confidence in the kitchen and I can't wait to try more of her recipes. And if those dishes turn out well, then you'll definitely be seeing more food on the blog!


P.S.
I am NOT a food blogger. I know I have zero plating or photography skills so you don't need to point it out.

P.P.S.
No, I will not post the recipes from the book. I'm almost sure that's kind of very illegal. Just go buy a cookbook! Or find someone else to break the law for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment